When the time comes to move to a supported living environment it is very important to choose the location that best suits one’s medical needs, personal preferences and finances
Seniors Housing Support simplifies this process, saving you time and frustration and giving you confidence in your choice
Whether needing Independent Living, Assisted Living, Long-Term Care or Memory Care, it is not surprising that families find it difficult to choose their best seniors housing option. In Calgary alone there are over 200 possible locations. Edmonton and Kelowna have similar numbers.
Some seniors residences and care facilities are within the private sector, some are publicly co-funded through the health system and others are subsidized for lower income seniors. Each having specific eligibility criteria, wait lists and application processes.
The landscape of seniors housing is too vast to expect seniors and their families to be able to gather complete information on. We have toured and researched all locations, we maintain up-to-date information and can help narrow down the options to the locations that best suit each persons specific situation.
Whether a move is imminent or you are planning for the future, we can help you make an informed decision confidently and in a timely manner.
Who is Involved?
- Our caring and experienced Seniors Housing Advisor meets the senior in their home, hospital or care facility
- Family members are encouraged to participate and can be linked in remotely if they are out of town
- If need be we can meet just with the family (sometimes best when discussing residential dementia care)
- We can support your communications with public health services when that is the route
What is the Process?
- Our comprehensive assessment identifies the most important criteria for the decision
- We evaluate the criteria against all possible options
- We present a short list of the most suitable sites for consideration, and help you make an ‘apples to apples’ comparison
- Decisions are supported by our in depth industry knowledge
- We set up tours and help with applications and health system navigation
What are the Outcomes?
- Our clients are confident they made the best choice so seniors can thrive and enjoy their new lifestyle and support
- The location chosen will provide longevity for your changing needs
- We strategize solutions for complex situations like couples with different care needs or seniors moving from out of town
- Extra value is added by referrals and checklists for the next steps such as organizing, moving, selling, cleaning, new home set-up, etc.
When is the Best Time to Begin?
- For seniors who need a solution quickly we can present options and expedite processes
- For seniors planning a move in 6-24 months we often suggest choosing a couple of locations and placing a deposit to hold a spot
- For seniors looking ahead for future consideration we can keep you updated on new options that come to the market
Private Pay Retirement Residences
There is a broad range of choice in private retirement living, from Independent Living to Assisted Living, Dementia Care or Long Term Care. New residences are being built every year. The variety of social, recreational and lifestyle amenities offered at these retirement residences is quite amazing. However, each company and building has its own unique offering and personality. It is important to choose the community that best fits the person’s needs for a reasonably long duration – it is not ideal to have to move multiple times.
Be aware that some housing support companies can be misleading as they offer information on only select locations. We cover the entire market to find the best fit for each and every client.
Public Health System Supportive Living
Public health care provides partially funded Supportive Living, Secure Dementia Care and Long Term Care for seniors who meet the health care requirements. The assessment and placement process can be daunting as there are a large number of options to choose from, short decision making times and often long waitlists. We provide guidance to families pursuing funded supportive living by helping them quickly choose their preferred locations and advising on strategies for keeping couples together or close-by and/or minimizing multiple transfers.
It is important to understand that the public health system is not able to provide information on private pay seniors housing locations and often people don’t realize they can consider these options as well. We can help advise which market best suits the situation.
Subsidized Seniors Apartments and Lodges
For low and middle income seniors with minimal health concerns, there are many great affordable seniors housing options. Suites range from studio to two bedroom units, most have full kitchens and some have meal programs. Managed by non-profit housing corporations, these locations often have significant wait lists and the application process and paper work can be quite overwhelming to seniors and their families.
Our support in identifying the best-suited locations and assistance with the application forms often expedites the process considerably. We have had great success in securing subsidized housing for seniors who are short on time; however, we highly recommend planning well ahead if this is the market you are interested in.
Thank you for the information and help you gave – it made for an easier decision and a successful move. Everything went very smoothly and we have settled in well. We are both enjoying living here and have no regrets about selling our home, no feelings of loss, or anything – which is actually a surprise to me. We have met lots of very nice people that have made us so welcome.
We only had a matter of days to find my mom a new residence and Judy found the perfect place for her. Judy really cares about her clients. Her service is highly recommended. THANKS A MILLION JUDY.
Where does one begin to say thank you to a team that made a task that was completely overwhelming become a great experience? When I had to take over the Power of Attorney for my mother living in a secure memory care facility in Victoria, BC and move her closer to us in Calgary, Alberta, I really didn’t think I was up to it. After my first meeting with Judy and Heather I knew I was in good hands. Heather listened to my scattered thoughts (and doubts!), she understood exactly what I was going through. She compassionately and professionally guided me through each step of finding the right residence for mom and assisted me in working with the airline to fly a person with profound dementia to a new home that is exactly right for her. You made a daunting task doable and gave me such confidence and support for the journey to Calgary. My mother is now settling into her new suite and my family and I cannot thank you enough. More people need to know that the wide range of services you provide are done by empathetic, knowledge and caring people like Heather Livingstone and the rest of the Proactive Seniors Team. I’m glad I found you!