Taking care of yourself makes you a better caregiver
Dementia is a group of neurological disorders characterized by progressive deterioration in thinking and memory caused by the brain damage. In addition dementia often presents as personality change, impaired reasoning and confusion.
This is a complex group of diseases where its progressive stages make caring for a loved one a moving target. As with any loss, loved ones inevitably must grieve the resultant change in relationship dementia causes. Our dementia specialists can help families navigate the difficult course from diagnosis through in-home care on to residential care facilities if needed.
Dementia Caregiver Coaching helps families manage in their new reality.
- Identify triggers that set off challenging behaviours such as agitation or aggression
- Teach communication techniques that work with the current reality for then person with dementia
- Support caregivers in helping loved ones manage challenging daily activities such as
- personal hygiene
- Brainstorm strategies for addressing wandering and create a safe environment
- Access community supports and services to support the role of the caregiver
- Help the caregiver find balance to maintain personal health and wellness
- Identify suitable residential care settings if needed
The progressive nature of dementia requires regular adjustment to how loved ones care and support the person. Building a long-term relationship with a dementia coach provides a great deal of comfort to families, knowing they are not alone on this journey.